Thursday, April 5, 2018

Its the small things in life......

Here it is April 5th and i am sitting by the wood heater still feeling chilly. I look at the calendar and it says it should be spring, but when i look at the thermometer...it says something different.
I only have a month and a half before the new bees arrive. so i am trying to find something to fill my free time.  The mead is still bubbling away but the novelty of checking it  7 times a day has worn off. I check it 2 times a day now.
I haven't had much to write about lately since my bees died, but was concerned people may miss my mindless ramblings....so i decided i better write something.

Have you ever thought of something out of the blue and it turns out to be actually quite clever. Well it happened to me.
A few years ago i had a small  bag i would carry out to the bee yard with all my tools i thought i might need. It was never big enough. Then one day while browsing thru Home Hardwares flyer i saw a tool bag that hooks around a 5 gallon bucket. Wow thats genius. So i ordered one, convinced it was the perfect size. A week later it arrived. So i got a old laundry soap 5 gallon bucket and washed it out and connected the tool bag to it. Below is a photo of it.


It consists of a ton of different size pockets. The inside of the bucket its open, so I can store my smoker and fuel and whatever other bigger items i need to have handy. The pockets will hold your hive tool, a lighter, a note book and pencil, gloves and a ton of other things. I love it, i can load it down and carry it out to the bee yard, in one trip.
I also have another bag.  Us women seem to accumulate cutesy bags, this one i received free with garden tools in it when i placed a order with Staples. I discovered i needed something to store things in, that i only once in a while.  In my second bag i keep my vaporizer,  the acid and my respirator and the small towels i use to block the entrances when treating for mites. When i am ready to treat, i grab my little blue bag and i know i have everything i need. It also has numerous pockets in it for keeping other goodies.
Its the small things in life that make me the most happy. A well organized bucket and a little blue bag. Does it get any better than that.
(Oh man, those bees really need to get here soon, i am sounding even more bushed than in my last post.)
 Will chat again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment