Thursday, March 15, 2018

Mead in Canada

The sad reality that i may have lost my bees is starting to set in. I feel lost, my bees always took me to my happy place and now i only have chocolate to take me there. I miss the endless walks back and worth to the bee yard to see what they were doing. Even if nothing....i liked watching them.
So the other day i decided i needed something to do while waiting for the new bees to arrive. What could i do that i could watch and  would give me some happiness.  Mead. I could make another gallon of Mead. So I got all my supplies out and got to it.
I have never drank real mead. Sure i made some before but it had fruit in it. (technically its called something else) This time i am going to make pure and simple mead...the kind the vikings drank. The kind that makes you want to dress like a medieval wench and drink it out of a pewter goblet. Ok so maybe i am going a little over board but still its a fun thought.
I found a fun website where this gal makes gallon jugs of wines, beer and meads. So i tried one of her recipes.
Its pretty simple, water, honey, yeast and 10 raisins or there abouts. So according to the recipe it should start to bubble in a couple days. And like clock work....it did. And as sad as it sounds, i now have something to watch. I wandered into the backroom 7 times today to see if it had started to bubble. I could smell the faint smell of alcohol each time it bubbled. Its going to be a while before we can taste it but i am feeling better now that i have something to look after in the mean time.
Yikes, i sound a little crazy, I hope the new bees come soon.


2 comments:

  1. Don't feel too bad about losing your bees...it's so common in the land of ice and snow. If you are bringing in New Zealand packages you usually will have good success wintering the first year...not so much the second year. And give yourself 10 years to learn the important aspects...I'm still losing hives. Enjoy your blog Lyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Doug...yeah I have never bought packages of bees, have always gone with Nucs...they are somewhat local. heheheh Anyways,thanks for your support and knowledge. Looking forward to see you guys in the near future.

    ReplyDelete