Monday, January 16, 2017

Is it spring yet?

Well we are barely half way thru January and I am itching to get started working with the bees again. But we are still months away. All I can do is prepare for spring by reading all I can on beekeeping.
I got thinking about feeding the bees first thing in the spring. Its important to give them Pollen Patties, whether it's real pollen or a pollen substitute. This helps stimulate the queen into start laying and gives them a jump start since its going to be another month or so yet until there is any pollen out there naturally.
Last year I decided to try making my own patties. I found a recipe and gave it a try. They turned out good.
Here is the recipe I used:

1 1/2 cups of soy flour
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1/2 cup brewers yeast
1 1/2 cup sugar syrup (either 2:1 or 1:1) of you can use honey instead. I used the honey since I had some.
Mix the dry ingredients well, then add the syrup or honey. Mix until its almost like cookie dough. You may have to add a little more flour. Leave in a covered bowl over night.The next morning, put the dough on a piece of wax paper and cover with another sheet and roll out into a patty. You can either freeze it until you need it, or place it on top of the frames in the brood chamber.


Another alternative is to buy Bee Pro from Bee Maid Bee store and just mix it with a sugar syrup.
It really is a small price to pay to get your bees off to a good start in the spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment