Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The last post.....(of 2016)

So this post is a recap of our 2016 beekeeping season. The trials and tribulations of a wannabee beekeeper.

Jan 2016
This was our first year wintering over bees. I have been like a over protective parent, worrying and hoping they are doing ok.
March 21 2016
Today the bees started bringing in pollen. Lots of activity. Holy moly this is so early. The winter wraps are still on, I think I will leave it on a little longer yet.
April 23
Dandelions are in full bloom. Lots of activity. Removed the winter wraps.
April 30
Removed any leftover winter honey. Lots of new uncapped honey already. New larvae. The bees wintered over great. Definitely will have to do a split.
May 15
Received the Nuc from Barry Clark, from the PG club. I left them in the nuc box over night but fed them syrup.
May 16
Put the nuc in their hive. Added second brood box on the big hive.
May 18
Did a big inspection on the big hive, didn't find any queen or swarm cells. Honey super was almost full. That's nuts. Will a second honey super on soon. Apparently because everything is so early this year, swarm season is early also. So near the end of May beginning of June. Lets hope they don't swarm before the new queens arrives from Rudi
Checked nuc, they are doing great, will check again in a week.
June 15th
Our beautiful Russian Queen arrived (her name is Queen Anna Pavlova) A fellow beekeeper (Mike) came over and help do the split since I had never done one before. He also received his new queens. In 3 days I will remove the lid off the queen cage.
June 24
Checked split, couldn't find the queen but did find new brood. Noticed a few bees with odd looking wings, I didn't want to take any chances so will treat with formic acid.
June 27
I ended up ordering mite away from Armstrong Apiary. Finally found the new Russian queen, she was very black with dark orange stripes. Wish I would of taken a picture of her.
July 5
Had a small swarm. I captured it and gave them a new home. I wrote about the swarm in one of my posts.
July 15
Treated with mite away. All hives
July 23
Checked swarm hive (hive 4). quite a bit of new larvae. Quite a bit of capped and uncapped honey.
July 26
Added honey super on the split hive. There is a total of 3 boxes. Big hive (4 boxes) Nuc (3 boxes) Swarm hive (2 boxes.
Also had to order more frames and foundation today...yikes where are they all going???
Aug 24
Put in syrup feeders on all hives. Hope to pull honey soon. It should of been done already but we have been soooooo busy at the motel, I haven't had the time.
Aug 30
Put sticky boards in hives to check for mites. I will treat where needed.
Sept 1
Finally got the big hive ready for winter. The bees are in one box now, with one full honey super on top.
Sept 2
Got the last 3 hives done. I put feeders in empty attic boxes and pollen patties. Will keep feeding them until the beginning of Oct, then pull them.
Oct 9
Remove feeders and put insulation in the attic boxes. Put winter wraps on the hives and say good night for the winter.

Things I learnt this year
Regardless how busy the Motel is.... REMOVE THE HONEY AT THE BEGINNING OF AUG WHILE ITS STILL HOT OUTSIDE.

Ok I promise this time....this really is the last post of 2016. Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment