Saturday, September 1, 2018

The quirky things us beekeepers do

If anyone was to really take a look inside my car, they might wonder why i have 3 Rubbermaid containers stuffed full of frames of honey. The have taken up residency there for the past 3 months, it was yet another project i started and never completed.
Being a owner of a Motel...your time is never really your own and even a well laid out idea never goes as planned.
I saw on a facebook page i belong to,  a very clever beekeeper in Terrace would put his frames of honey in his wifes car to warm up so when he went to extract them, the honey would flow easier. I thought this was a brilliant idea. So thats when i brought out all the frames from my hives that had died during the winter and put them in the car to warm up. And there they sit and wait. I decided once things slowed down i would extract them.
In the mean time as summer went on, i noticed my 2 new nucs were struggling. Well one is doing better than the other one, but it got me thinking. I may need to add some frames of honey for the winter in the new boxes. So now they sit a little longer, but this time. I am thankful for those leftover frames of honey.
So here it is Sept 1st. My weak hive died and I am now down to 1 lonely hive. Thankfully they are doing good, and I am pretty sure they have a good supply of honey stored. Next week when i inspect them i will look through the honey super and make sure. If need bee i will add capped honey for the winter. I am so thankful to have these extra frames of honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment