Saturday, June 9, 2018

All a buzz

Things are a buzz once again at Riverside Apiary (or Bell Mountain Motel as everyone knows us by). The 2 Nucs finally arrived and they were big healthy looking hives. I was thrilled. 
No more am I making endless trips into the linen room to watch the bubbles in the mead. I can now wander over with coffee in hand and stare at the bees. (Much more acceptable than watching bubbles)

So last Sunday we picked the nucs up and I got to work putting them in their boxes right away.The weather had been so warm 2 weeks ago but the last little while, it has been chilly. I didnt even spend a lot of time searching for the queen. I just did a quick check and tucked them in their new houses.


The next day it was really cold and i felt bad for them so i went in the shop and found some silver bubble wrap insulation and made them little "sweaters" for their brood box. I think i am going to leave it until this crazy weather straightens out. In the box on top, is a empty super with a feeder for them until the weather improves.

So todays project was the Mead. My old friend who kept me occupied while waiting for the bees to arrive. I wanted to get it out of its gallon jug and into a clean one. There was lots of sludge in the bottom and the 10 raisins that were in there were kinda nasty looking. So i dug out the other jug and transferred it over there. I took the opportunity to have a wee nip of it and for only being 3 months old. It tasted pretty good. Anyways, that's about it for now. Chat again soon.

Mead 3 months, before i put in a clean bottle





No comments:

Post a Comment