Monday, June 27, 2016

A little history

Welcome to my blog.
I will be mostly talking about the fun times and the not so fun times raising my bees.
I first got the beekeeping bug years ago. My Grampa and Great Grampa Forrest had a commercial nursery. They worked side by side building up their business after immigrating from Scotland in the early 20's. They mostly grew flowers, so it only made sense that they also kept bees. The bees and greenhouses were gone before I came along but hearing the stories gave me the urge to keep bees one day.
I remember seeing a few tools that he still had left, but mostly it was the 50 year old honey they found when him and Grama were preparing to move from the farmhouse. Poppa gave me some and I ate it. I think right there was when I knew someday I would get bees.
Well some 30 years later, I finally did it. Last year a friend and I bought 2 hives.
I was completely in the dark about beekeeping. But what better way to learn then to dive right in head first. And so I did.
As a nod to my Grampa and his father, I have named my Apiary after their nursery business, Riverside Nursery.
So welcome to Riverside Apiary, I hope you will enjoy it.

Here are a couple of photos. One is of my Great Grampa (Alexander Forrest) this photo is of him and their flower displays at the PNE, where they would display their flowers, honey and bees wax.
The second photo is of my Grampa (John Forrest) and his dad (Alexander Forrest).

                                 Great Grampa                                       Grampa and Great Grampa



15 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Someday I would like to keep bees too so I will be learning along...Love the history and the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a wannabe too, but so far haven't taken the leap! I will let you break the trail, Lyn, and then you can be my mentor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can learn from all my mistakes heheheheheh.

      Delete
  3. Have you given all your "babies" names yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just our new Russian Queen. She is Queen Anna (after Anna Pavlova, the famous Russian Ballet dancer)

      Delete
    2. You got à Russian queen!!?!
      Where?

      Delete
    3. Hey Roselyne....she wasnt all Russian she was a hybrid i bought from Rudi Peters.

      Delete
  4. A new blog! So exciting!! Can't wait to read it. I'll have to share it with Lauren as I'm sure she'll love it.
    Maybe one day I can feature your honey in my baking!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that would be great Amanda. Hopefully next year I will be in full production, all going well. Should have some bees wax for Daves projects also

      Delete
  5. Neat stuff. And I love having you on Highway 16 Beekeepers. Make sure you somehow announce when you put a new post on this blog, otherwise I miss the new entry. And I love the colours of your bee boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ma. I try to post it on my page everytime I add a new post. Thank you so much for all your guidance and help this past year. I couldn't of done it without all you fine folks on Hyw 16 beekeepers

      Delete
  6. I like this...the way things were

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting blog. I have many a pleasing memory of Grampa's bees. And being with him while working with his bees.

    ReplyDelete